Reporting directly to the CEO, and as a key member of our executive leadership team, the Vice President of Product will develop and execute our product and innovation strategy to accelerate and sustain our high rate of growth. The ideal candidate will bring a proven track record of crafting and executing the product roadmap and design strategies and building a culture of growth and disruptive-minded thinking. This individual must be hungry-to-win and ready to roll up their sleeves as a player-coach as they build the product organization and team. If you are motivated to join a young, fast-growing outdoor company and develop a high-performing product team, we want to meet you.
- Lead, build, and manage APB’s new product roadmap from disruptive innovation ideation to disciplined stage-gate development to in-market launch.
- Develop a multi-year innovation and product roadmap that supports APB’s overall growth and business objectives that is informed by market and consumer trends. Effectively communicate and align the APB executive leadership team to category vision, roadmap, and strategy.
- Define product requirements, both design and performance needs/features, that deliver a compelling user experience. Identify and incorporate on-trend aesthetics that form into new product design. Act as consumer advocate, through deep understanding of consumer needs, buying preferences, and macro trends.
- Lead APB’s product portfolio management including cost reduction management of existing products, product lifecycle management, and product sunsetting strategies.
- Hire, inspire, mentor, and develop the product team to deliver excellence in their roles and to achieve business goals and objectives. Act as a people champion across the organization. Foster a culture of growth and encourage team members to explore and experiment.
- Aggressively improve the product group’s capabilities and use of technology to gain competitive advantages. Examples include integrating Generative AI into ideation and concepting process, transitioning to digital renderings from traditional photography, and rapid prototyping through 3D printing.
- Drive consumer and retailer-centric innovation principles by involving consumers and retail partners in the product ideation process. Leverage digital consumer panels for rapid testing for real-time target audience insights and regularly engage retail decision makers via early development pre-views to build early buy in.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with key stakeholders to drive results. Such collaborations include partnering with:
- The sales team to align commercial and distribution strategies, engage retail partners in co-development, and ultimately deliver compelling customer sell-in.
- The operations team for product planning, supplier sourcing and management, and product quality and compliance issues.
- The marketing team for compelling product messaging and positioning.
- Install a data-driven performance culture based on clear product development targets and KPIs, manage regular performance monitoring, and implement improvement plans.
- Regularly monitor consumer feedback, quality scores, and product performance in-market to gain understanding and identify areas for improvement. Regularly monitor competitive activity to identify threats and opportunities.
- Manage the product development budget and track financial performance to ensure revenue and profitability goals are achieved.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10+ years of product creation experience in consumer goods with a strong preference for candidates who have worked in fast-growth environments and the outdoor gear category. Challenger brands experience a plus.
- 5+ years of leadership experience. Experience hiring and developing product teams.
- Innovative and bold thinker who pushes the envelope in what is possible for the best product consumer experience. Possesses the ability to synthesize consumer insights, trends, and competitive analysis to create breakthrough product innovations.
- Experience leading strategic management of a complex product portfolio.
- Strong product merchandising strategy and executional experience preferred.
This position is based in Springfield, Missouri.